Joseph Morgan (born Joseph Martin on 16th May 1981) is an English actor and director. He is best known for his role as Niklaus “Klaus” Mikaelson in The CW show The Vampire Diaries and its spin-off The Originals.Read about Niklaus “Klaus” Mikaelson here
Morgan was born in London, but lived in Swansea for 11 years. He is the oldest child in his family. He was a student at Morriston Comprehensive School and then studied a BTEC Performing Arts course at Gorseinon College (now Gower College Swansea), before moving back to
London to study at the Central School of Speech and Drama in his late teens.
Morgan stepped into the world of the small screen in 2013 with a TV movie Eroica directed by Simon Cellan Jones. The same year he also appeared in another TV movie Henry VIII directed by Pete Travis and starring Ray Winstone and Joss Ackland.
Joseph Morgan took it to the big screens the very same year with Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World directed by Peter Weir. Morgan was cast in a supporting role in the movie that starred Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany. The movie grossed at a $212 million worldwide.
One of the most prominent roles that Morgan took up was the role of Troy in the TV series Hex that aired in Sky One satellite channel from 2004 and went on to complete two series and ended in 2006. The supernatural horror drama rose to popularity and earned pretty positive audience response. He also played the role of Mick Mabley in the TV series Doc Martin that hit the small screens in 2004. The same year saw the release of the movie Alexander directed by Oliver Stone. The movie starring Colin Farrell and Angelina Jolie was a historical drama based on the life and adventures of conqueror Alexander the great. Morgan took up the role of Philotas in the movie that grossed at $167 million worldwide.
It was in the year 2010 that Morgan was launched in a leading role in CBC Network’s Ben Hur, a TV series based on the 1880 novel Ben Hur: A Tale of The Christ. Directed by Steve Shill, the series aired in the United States on ABC Network.
Morgan played Niklaus Mikaelson in The CW ‘s The Vampire Diaries, and played Lysander in the 2011 film Immortals , alongside Henry Cavill.
BuddyTV ranked him #84 on its list of “TV’s Sexiest Men of 2011”. In January 2013, a back-door pilot for The Originals , a spin-off series of The Vampire Diaries, began airing with Morgan starring as Niklaus Mikaelson.
He met his wife Persia White on the set of The Vampire Diaries. The couple were engaged in 2014 after dating since 2011. They married on 5 July 2014 in Ocho Rios, Jamaica . He became the stepfather of White’s daughter.
Joseph Morgan with Persia White
He has won many awards including 2014 People’s Choice Awards for Favorite Actor in a New TV Series (from the series The Originals) , 2013 TV Guide Award fir Choice TV villian (from the series The Vampire Diaries).
Morgan at the 2011 Comic Con in San Diego
9 facts you probably didn’t know about Joseph Morgan
- His English accent on The Originals is real. Joseph was born in London, but grew up in Wales, UK.
- He’s had the honor of starring in a Jane Austen adaptation. He played William Price in the ITV adaptation of Mansfield Park .
- He met his wife, Persia White, on the set of The Vampire Diaries. She played Abby Bennett Wilson on TVD .
- His first audition was to play the character Tom Riddle in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets . Obviously it went to someone else.
- His last name isn’t actually Morgan. His real last name is Martin. Why he changed it? We’ll never know.
- He’s a director, too. Joseph doesn’t just act on The Vampire Diaries. He directed a horror short called Revelation starring his wife Persia.
- In 2015 Joseph Morgan started a production Company – Night Owl Productions – with his wife and creative partner Persia White. Under that banner they wrote and produced two short films which Morgan directed.
- His estimated net Worth is $3 million.
- Morgan has held starring roles in films like
Armistice , Open Grave and Angels Crest.
By Onwuneme Yahwedalu Miracle